This blog....

Food IS love made tangible... it is a gift that meets the needs of the soul as well as the body. I have found that preparing and presenting food with great care is worth the effort....creating an atmosphere that warmly invites guests to linger. As Julia Child said, "Nothing is too much trouble, if it turns out as it should."

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fresh Tomato Soup

I love tomato soup; and with the abundance of tomatoes at our house these days, decided to create my own recipe. I chopped up several very ripe tomatoes and added them to boiling water. Sorry, I can't give quantities, because I simply do not create that way. But, definitely more tomatoes than water. I added minced garlic, a dash of salt, several dashes of pepper, and my favorite Penzeys Spice: Pasta Sprinkle. It is a mix of sweet basic, Turkish oregano, thyme and garlic. I also added a tablespoon or so of bacon bits (the flavor permeates the soup). I let this wonderful concoction simmer for maybe 10 minutes, until the tomatoes were essentially mush. After cooling a bit, I poured it into my blender and pushed "liquify." It was amazing! I garnished the soup with homemade croutons, made from chopped up bread crusts, lightly tossed in olive oil and a little heavy on the lemon pepper... baked at 350 for 6 minutes each side, and allowed to cool. You could even put a bit of grated cheese on top. Voila! What a comfort food for early fall days.