This blog....

Food IS love made tangible... it is a gift that meets the needs of the soul as well as the body. I have found that preparing and presenting food with great care is worth the effort....creating an atmosphere that warmly invites guests to linger. As Julia Child said, "Nothing is too much trouble, if it turns out as it should."

Sunday, July 8, 2012

"Petite Watermelons"

This recipe is from Victoria Belanger's book, Hello, Jell-o! Her book has wonderfully creative gelatin recipes. The photos are striking, as the author is a professional photographer. Ingredients: 1 cup boiling water 1 3-ounce package strawberry gelatin (I used cherry) 1 cup chopped strawberries 1/2 cup cold water 5 limes, halved with pulp scooped out** 1 tsp black sesame seeds, poppy seeds or basil seeds I used a 4 cup pyrex cup to bring the water to a boil in the microwave. After dissolving the gelatin, I poured it into a blender and added the cold water. I blended the gelatin until liquefied. Next, I poured the blended gelatin into a 9x11" pyrex pan and refrigerated until thickened, but not firm, about 1 1/2 hours. Then, I skimmed off the foam that had risen to the top of the gelatin and stirred the puree that was left. I used a small spoon to scoop the mixture into the lime rind halves. After placing them on a small cooling rack (to keep them from tipping), I refrigerated until firm, about 4 hours. Finally, I used a large and very sharp knife to cut the lime halves into half again. I sprinkled them with poppy seeds. These "petite watermelons" were a hit with our guests!! ** Scooping out the limes was the hardest part; I ended up using a small pair of sissors to actually cut through the pulp, and then a spoon to scrape it all out.