This blog....

Food IS love made tangible... it is a gift that meets the needs of the soul as well as the body. I have found that preparing and presenting food with great care is worth the effort....creating an atmosphere that warmly invites guests to linger. As Julia Child said, "Nothing is too much trouble, if it turns out as it should."

Monday, June 16, 2014

Creamy Mushroom & Celery Soup

Ok, so I know it's summer - but soup just sounded good to me today.  The idea for this soup came from a British murder mystery series - the chef used wild mushrooms, celery and onions, gathered on a river bank.   I used produce from the grocery store: mushrooms, celery, green onions, and a large can of chicken broth. First, I diced the onions and celery very tiny.  Then I sliced several mushrooms.  I added them to the broth in a medium sized pan, over low heat.  I added a bit of red pepper and fresh parsley from my herb garden. Once this all came to a boil, I turned the heat down and added just a bit of Idahoan Four Cheese Mashed Potatoes brand of potato flakes.  I stirred constantly, until the soup was thickened slightly.  Garnish: a small sprig of parsley.  This soup is sweet and when eaten in air conditioning - perfect for a summer evening!