This blog....

Food IS love made tangible... it is a gift that meets the needs of the soul as well as the body. I have found that preparing and presenting food with great care is worth the effort....creating an atmosphere that warmly invites guests to linger. As Julia Child said, "Nothing is too much trouble, if it turns out as it should."

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon


I've never been to a movie that made me want to go home and cook.... that is, until "Julie and Julia." I was so fascinated with the french stew Julie made, that I determined I too could successfully make it! Boeuf Bourguignon (rhymes with: hoof poor key nyoe) is one of Julia Child's most famous dishes. There are a number of variations of this amazing stew, and recipes can easily be found by searching Google.

After making Boeuf Bourguignon at least four times, here is what I discovered:

*Boneless rib meat is more tender than stew meat.
*The meat becomes even more tender (and flavorful) if it marinades in a nice red wine, like Cabernet Sauvignon, for several hours before coating in flour and browning it.
*This stew is heavenly when eaten by candlelight with someone special.